01 Apr 2014
Do you want to help develop resources and run BSPP outreach activities? Or would you like to volunteer at an outreach event? We're keen to hear your ideas, and we would also like to know how we can best support you, don’t be shy - get in touch!
Internship students learn how to develop and run outreach activities at events around the UK, research and develop educational resources on plant sciences and plant pathology, use social media and websites to promote plant pathology. For an example read the report on Claire Stoker's 2013 Outreach Internship.
- Work on a diverse range of activities from creating new resources to communicating with members of the public.
- Build communication skills by explaining complex science to different groups, including young people.
- Gain insight into how different members of the public view science and learn from the questions they ask.
- Strengthen own plant science and plant pathology knowledge through communicating a broad spectrum of plant science, helping to make connections outside of own research area.
- Gain from networking opportunities to form valuable connections with leading scientists at an early career stage.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
An internship requires an enthusiastic PhD student, preferably with some science outreach/communication experience or certainly someone keen to develop these skills. Attention to detail, curiosity, perseverance, and the ability to work independently are essential.
Internships will be considered throughout the year and usually last 3 months (during which time the intern removes themselves from their research and focuses on this new challenge). It may not be practical for the student to relocate for this period, and so a willingness to travel to link up with the Outreach Officer is essential. Please note the BSPP will only cover travel expenses and will not pay the student. Please ask your academic adviser to verify that this internship would qualify for credit as part of their PhD studies.
How to apply
Initial enquiries for available internships should be directed to Dr. Phil Smith (Outreach Officer) at email@example.com enclosing your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’d like to undertake a BSPP Outreach internship remembering to highlight when you’d be available.