Vacancy: Administrator for the BSPP
11 Mar 2018
The Board of the British Society for Plant Pathology wishes to engage a freelance Administrator for the Society. It is seeking a capable, efficient person to do a range of administrative tasks to enable BSPP to run smoothly. Successful, relevant experience is essential. Knowledge of plant pathology or of another relevant science discipline is desirable.
The Administrator’s duties are detailed below. This list may be adjusted from time to time according to the needs of the Society and the Administrator will be expected to be reasonably flexible in the tasks undertaken.
To act as the first point of contact for BSPP, responding to enquiries where appropriate or forwarding them to the relevant member of the Board.
To support the Secretary (currently Dr Sarah Holdgate, NIAB, Cambridge):
- Finding venues for Board and other meetings of BSPP, including booking, organising catering and invoicing.
- Advising Board members of the location/logistics of the venue.
- Requesting Board members for papers, including chasing them for late papers.
- Liaise with nominees during Board elections to gather biographical details.
- Arrange gift for outgoing President.
- Liaise with the archivist (currently Dr Gilli Thorp, Fera, York) about archiving minutes and other documents.
Other duties will include supporting the Secretary in her other duties and other Board members may request the Administrator to undertake specific tasks. The Administrator will be engaged as a freelance. Remuneration will be by negotiation, as will the time required for the work. He or she will be responsible for his or her own income tax, National Insurance, pension and general office expenses. Purchase of special equipment or services required for work on behalf of BSPP, or a contribution to the cost, may be considered.
Further information on this position is available from the Secretary in the first instance and applications should be made to the President, Prof Murray Grant, by submitting a covering letter and CV. The closing date for applications is Friday 27th April.
Dr Sarah Holdgate Secretary email@example.com
Prof Murray Grant President firstname.lastname@example.org